Experience the true taste of summer with a delightful recipe that celebrates the vibrant flavors of freshly picked tomatoes and aromatic basil. There’s something incredibly satisfying about utilizing the bountiful produce straight from your garden, where the sun-kissed tomatoes and fragrant basil leaves come together to create a harmonious symphony of taste and aroma. Prepare to embark on a culinary journey as we unveil the secrets to making a mouthwatering tomato pie that embodies the essence of summer’s abundance and culinary delight.
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 9-inch prebaked deep dish pie shell
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 10 chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 peeled and sliced tomatoes (or lots of tommy toe tomato’s)
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar
- 1/2 cup Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and pre-bake the deep dish pie crust according to the package instructions.
- Start by blanching the tomatoes and then slicing them. Place the sliced tomatoes in a colander to drain off excess moisture. Pat with a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid. You do not want a runny pie!
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, pimento cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix well to create a creamy and cheesy mixture.
- Now, it’s time to assemble the pie. Layer the tomato slices, fresh basil leaves, and onion in the pre-baked pie crust. Season the layers with salt and pepper to enhance the flavors.
- Spread the prepared mayonnaise and cheese mixture on top of the tomato layers, ensuring it covers the entire surface evenly.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the top becomes lightly browned and bubbly.
- Once baked, remove the tomato pie from the oven and let it cool slightly. Cut it into slices and serve while still warm.
Enjoy this delicious tomato pie as a delightful appetizer or a tasty main course!