This recipe reminds me of my dad. He always made broccoli salad for the family get-together’s. He had a secret ingredient though that most don’t include.
- 2 Heads of Broccoli, tops only
- 8 Slices of Bacon, well cooked and chopped- or just buy the bacon bits from Costco for time and money savings!
- 1 C. Red Onion, diced
- 1 C. Cheddar Cheese, shredded or cubed- optional- see note below.
- 1/2 C. Salted and Roasted Sunflower Seeds (could use pecans instead)
- 1 C. Mayonnaise
- 2 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 T. Sugar Substitute- I prefer Xylitol
In a small bowl, mix mayo, apple cider vinegar, and sugar substitute. Set aside. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dressing mixture and combine well. Chill for 1+ hours before serving.
- This recipe roughly has 3 net carbs per serving after subtracting the fiber and sugar substitute.’
- I honestly like to leave out the cheese when making and then just serve as I dish it out on to my plate. I find that it can get soggy when there are left overs. And to me, this just gets better after chilling overnight.